Friday, November 30, 2012

Smoking In The Girls Room

 
 
A few days ago I was at a pizza parlor with my family plowing through a large, extra-cheesy, thin-crust sausage pizza.  Suddenly my 3 year old daughter Autumn announced that she had to go pottie.  I said I would take her since my wife Nadia was busy trying to get our 1 year old son Jack to eat something…anything.  The kid hates eating and just wants to run around all the time.  So I followed my daughter through the maze of tables back to where the bathrooms were.  I tried the men’s handle.  It was unlocked so we walk in and Autumn runs over to the toilet ready to pounce on it.  “WAIT!” I yelled out in horror.  “Don’t touch anything!”  It was a nasty, disgusting mess.  The seat was up, there was pee all over everything, and it looked like it had not been flushed since the Clinton administration.  Autumn is still oblivious to the notion of what is ‘gross’ or not.  If I had not stopped her she would have run right over and plopped her little bottom down on that wretched and defiled throne of filth.
 
I quickly ushered her out of that hellhole and decided to try the women’s room.  Chicks have to sit down so it just had to be better than the men’s toilet that had been ruined by the pigs next door.  I gingerly tried the handle.  It was open, so I took a quick glance around and jumped in the room with Autumn.  Sure enough the seat was down and dry and I hoisted her up and let her do her thing.  Then came a knock on the door.  “Just a minute!”  I said in a high girly voice, hoping the lady would go away.  After washing Autumn up I cautiously opened the door and peeked out.  Yep, the middle-aged woman was still standing there and she give me a surprised look that turned into a nasty look, which then turned into a somewhat understanding look when she saw Autumn at my feet.  I gave her a raised-eyebrow shrug and squeezed past her in the tiny bathroom/hallway out into the freedom of the pizza parlor.  This brief encounter in the women’s room then got me thinking about all of the other times I have been in a women’s room for one reason or another.
 
Not including all the times as a humiliated young boy when my mom would drag me into public bathrooms with her to keep me safe from the evils of men’s rooms, my earliest trip into the ladies room was at 4H camp in the Wisconsin Dells when I was about 13 years old.  I was just entering the wondrous and confusing world of puberty.  I did not know how to make out with a girl, but I knew I really wanted to.  Luckily for me there was a pretty, and already well endowed girl there named Kelly Waldorf who was my age and seemed like she was into me.  Our first night there all of the grownups were hanging out around the main campfire so me and Kelly and the rest of the kids decided to play ‘Truth Or Dare’.   You know the game…where you go around the circle and take turns asking someone:  “Truth or dare?”.  But where should we play?  We decided the girl’s camp bathroom/shower was large enough to hold all 10 of us and would work just fine.  After getting a few inevitable but informative ‘truths’ out of the way (“Do you think so-and-so is cute?”, etc…), we eventually got around to the much funner ‘dares’ (“I dare you to kiss so-and-so for 15 seconds.”)  This is the greatest game ever in the history of the world I thought!  I got to kiss one girl who was a couple of years younger than me, but what I really wanted was to kiss Kelly.
 
Finally it happened and the two of us were ‘dared’ to kiss for 20 seconds!  We stood up and I leaned in with my lips pursed, clueless, and then a wonderful strange thing happened…she stuck her tongue in my mouth!  Instant pubescent boner.  I stuck my butt out so our middle parts weren’t touching anymore, but it was apparent through my shorts and I was sure she had felt it…but she kept on kissing me!  I struck back with my tongue in earnest.  I had no idea what I was doing, but it felt good and it felt right and I was in heaven.  Right in the middle of a kissing session with Kelly though an older lady walked in.  Total buzz kill.  The first thing she saw was Kelly and I with our tongues down each other’s throats and she let out a gasp and started yelling at us…all of us…telling us to get the hell out of the women’s room.  I started to run out but she grabbed my arm and led me back to where the parents were and promptly reported me to Kelly’s dad and told him exactly what she had seen.  He gave me a stern look, but in the end the parents nervously laughed it off.  Kids making out in the girl’s bathroom…somewhat troubling but not the end of the world.  I was kept away from Kelly though and there was no more kissing to be had on that trip.  Totally sucked, but to this day it was still one of the greatest, most thrilling nights of my life…French kissing a real girl for the first time.
 
Another incident I had in a girl’s bathroom was in the mid-90’s when I was working at WPS Insurance in Madison, WI.  It was a crappy place to work, but it is where I had met many of my lifelong friends including Mitch Manson, Brad & Erin Pronger, Daddy, Bonnie & Clyde, Derrick and Charlotte Goetz, Glenn Kampson, and Lauren Hatch.  One day Charlotte and I were talking in the hallway, heading back to our workspace, and as we passed the women’s room Charlotte interrupted our conversation to announce that she had to step in for a minute.  I wanted to finish what I was saying so I said “Fine” and stepped into the bathroom with her, in plain view of the 20 or 30 people manning the phones in our work station.  She looked at me funny but we continued the conversation for about a minute until one of the VP’s of the company happened to walk in.  She looked at me.  She looked at Charlotte.  She frowned.  I mumbled some unintelligible apology and ran out of there.  From his seat about 20 feet away Mitch was laughing his ass off as I headed for my desk.  About 5 minutes later I was called into the ‘Office’ with the VP and a Union Rep for an interrogation.  In the few years that I had worked at this place I had gotten into so much trouble that this was the very least of my infractions, but they wanted to know why I was in there and if I understood that it was wrong.  I had no idea why I went in there with Charlotte, but yes I understood that it was wrong so I let them scold me for awhile and I promised that I would never ever do it again and they let me go.
 
But it happened again.  About 6 or 7 years ago I went to see a Minnesota Timberwolves basketball game with Ernie Hagen at the Target Center in downtown Minneapolis.  We both have season tickets.  Ernie’s tickets are kickass courtside seats that cost a fortune whereas my tickets are crappy upper-deck seats that cost next to nothing…they are basically just to get me in the arena.  Ernie’s dad was using Ernie’s tickets that night so we were in the upper deck using my tickets.  Ernie was not impressed with the view.  After about 10 minutes he announced that he needed to get high, so we went out in the hallway to find a place.  The Wolves were not doing very well that year so there was hardly anyone in the upper deck.  We went in to the nearest bathroom and Ernie told me to keep watch while he took a couple of hits off his pinch-hitter.
 
There was no-one in the bathroom.  Ernie selected the end stall farthest away from the door to toke up in.  I don’t smoke weed anymore so I was standing along the row of stalls with nothing to do so I decided to take a leak.  I turned around to pee in a urinal…but…there wasn’t any.  What the f*ck?  It was a large bathroom and I thought maybe they were tucked around a corner or something so I looked left, right…nothing.  No urinals.  This was the stupidest men’s room I have ever been in I thought.  Just then someone walked in so I turned towards Ernie’s stall and gave him the old “cough, cough” signal for him to be cool.  Then I turned to look at the intruder and…it was a chick!  Oops, she must have accidentally came in the wrong bathroom.  I felt sorry for her so I smiled and gave her that unspoken tilted-head nod that says:  “Ah well, mistakes happen.”  But she didn’t blush and turn around and run out.  No.  She just stood there staring at me with this weird look on her face.  She was glued to her spot, unwilling to advance but not retreating.  I stood there, waiting for her to leave, extremely confused by her demeanor.
 
Suddenly the light bulb went on.  This wasn’t the stupidest men’s room in the world.  We were the stupidest men in the world because this was a women’s room!  Duhh.  That’s why there were no urinals and that’s why this lady didn’t leave after seeing me in there.  I quickly ran over to Ernie’s stall and in a hurried hushed voice I said:  “Ernie!  We have to go!  We’re in the women’s room!”  “What?!”  “Yeah, c’mon!  Let’s go!”  Ernie put away his stash in record time, popped his head out, looked around in embarrassment, and then we ran out of there mumbling “Sorry.” as we scooted past the chick.
 
From smoking weed a few years ago at the Target Center to getting my first French kiss way back when I was 13 years old at 4H camp to, I have had some good times in the women’s room.  No lessons to be learned here…just have fun out there and keep your head up.  You never know when you might find yourself in the wrong bathroom at the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment