Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Dark Continent



As the administrator of this blog, not only can I see the # of hits the site gets (as can all of you…a quick check of the counter shows that we are up to 3,142 hits), but I can also track what countries the hits are coming from.  How or why anybody outside of my circle of friends and family sees and reads this blog is beyond me, but there have been hits from all over the world including almost every continent.  So far the good people of Antarctica are the only continent that have completely ignored ‘Sneaky Sweets’, but that’s okay…they are probably too busy hanging with penguins and trying to stay warm to read my blog.  Plus, contrary to my blog entry from 1/17/12 they probably feel strongly about warming up their cars for awhile before taking off, regardless of the year of the car.  So Antarctica withstanding, we have had hits from some pretty distant countries.  I can understand hits coming from Europe as maybe a friend of a friend might know someone there and told them about it…but Indonesia?  Check out the list of Sneaky nations so far:

United States
Russia
United Kingdom
France
Germany
Romania
Japan
Canada
Czech Republic
Latvia
China
Italy
Ireland
Peru
Indonesia
Costa Rica
South Korea
Columbia
Malaysia
Australia
Netherlands
Serbia
South Africa
Kenya

Note the last two…South Africa and Kenya??  I know very little about Africa, but in my limited mind it is separated into two sections:  1) South Africa…a place that we have always been lead to believe was evil.  I guess they are better now, but I think I might still be a little pissed at them and maybe do not completely trust them yet?  2) The rest of Africa…a wild place full of elephants and lions and monkeys.  I know from reading the magazine covers in the checkout line at my local Rainbow Foods that Angelina Jolie and Madonna have adopted a good chunk of the population and relocated them to various mansions throughout Europe.  And I know from being a good U2 fan that Bono is trying to save the rest.  But I fear that those they do not get to will be struggling with a lifetime of war, drought and famine.  Why in the world would anyone there be reading about Sneaky Sweets? 

The youngest of my two sisters Cindy is an African expert so maybe I should check with her.  Her husband Gus Savalas is extremely tough, cool and smart.  They travelled throughout Africa together and even got married there.  I am ashamed to admit, but as adults Cindy and I have not kept in contact with each other as much as we should.  I do know that Cindy is crazy smart, loves animals, is strong in every sense of the word, and she makes really good bread.  I am not really sure but I think she got her bachelors degree in ‘partying’ at the University of Wisconsin/Madison, her masters degree in horseback riding and hockey at a fancy Canadian college in Montreal, and her doctorate degree in African Politics at a fancy U.S. college like Yale or the University of America in Washington D.C.  Obviously I need to give Cindy a call and say hi, catch up, and stay in touch more.  I hope they know that I think about them often.

So here is what else I know about Africa.  I know from seeing the movie ‘Blood Diamond’ that the place is full of horrible diamond mines and we should never buy our diamonds from there.  I know from seeing the movie ‘Out Of Africa’ that it is a vast and beautiful place full of biplanes and steam locomotive trains.  I know from watching the ‘Weather Channel’ that Africa is guilty of annually spawning numerous hurricanes that jump off the west coast and scurry across the Atlantic, talking careful aim at our great eastern cities with intent to do grievous bodily harm.  And I know from watching ‘Man vs. Wild’ that the place is chock full of strange but tasty bugs that the star of the show ‘Bear Grylls’ likes to eat whenever he hangs out there.

So anyways, my completely naïve sense of Africa makes me wonder why anybody there has the time or the inclination to read my little blog.  If anybody from Africa could login to the site and email me your story about how you heard of ‘Sneaky Sweets’ I would be thrilled.  Or if you could leave a comment in the ‘comment box’ I would be honored.  And Cindy, I promise I will call soon.

4 comments:

  1. Dearest brother, as the Family Expert on Africa, I am only too happy to answer any and all questions. I may make some of it up, but you probably wont know that I am doing this, so we'll both be happy. I will note that internet access in Africa, while not as widespread as in the States, is found in every city and a lot of the rural areas. They also have cars, smog, fitness centers, and business suits there.

    ps: We are no longer mad at South Africa, although I might be, a little bit, at the ANC for dropping their SACP constituency in the dirt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CARS?? Hang on, I'm calling you right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can add a little to your knowledge of Africa... and this comes from seeing/listening to The Meters, The Neville Brothers, and The Funky Meters over many years: "A woman is a woman, and a man is man." Which makes me wonder if the country is ignoring transgender issues?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just re-read this entry, because it is the one that has gotten the most hits for some reason. Here is an update: the count is now up to 13,963 hits from 85 different countries. Here they are:

    1) United States
    2) Russia
    3) United Kingdom
    4) France
    5) Germany
    6) Romania
    7) Japan
    8) Canada
    9) Czech Republic
    10) Latvia
    11) China
    12) Italy
    13) Ireland
    14) South Africa
    15) Peru
    16) Indonesia
    17) Costa Rica
    18) South Korea
    19) Colombia
    20) Malaysia
    21) Kenya
    22) Australia
    23) Netherlands
    24) Israel
    25) Serbia
    26) Luxembourg
    27) Sweden
    28) Brazil
    29) India
    30) Philippines
    31) Spain
    32) United Arab Emirates
    33) Slovakia
    34) Mexico
    35) Belarus
    36) Norway
    37) Estonia
    38) Ukraine
    39) Austria
    40) Poland
    41) Belgium
    42) Venezuela
    43) New Zealand
    44) Bahrain
    45) Bulgaria
    46) Singapore
    47) Hong Kong
    48) Cambodia
    49) Qatar
    50) Rwanda
    51) Finland
    52) Egypt
    53) Taiwan
    54) Jamaica
    55) Denmark
    56) Thailand
    57) Turkey
    58) Bahamas
    59) Portugal
    60) Saudi Arabia
    61) Afghanistan
    62) Faroe Islands
    63) Vietnam
    64) Peru
    65) Hungary
    66) Pakistan
    67) Croatia
    68) Zimbabwe
    69) Panama
    70) Sri Lanka
    71) Lithuania
    72) Cameroon
    73) Switzerland
    74) Turks and Caicos Islands
    75) Iceland
    76) Ecuador
    77) Puerto Rico
    78) Argentina
    79) Uruguay
    80) Georgia
    81) Cyprus
    82) Malta
    83) Iraq
    84) Tunisia
    85) Brunei

    ReplyDelete